Laura Hanson Schlachter
Position title: Researcher
Phone: (608) 261-1355
Laura Hanson Schlachter joined the University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives in January 2021 to lead the Cooperative Governance Research Initiative and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Trends in the Cooperative Community survey. Both projects leverage Laura’s expertise in mixed methods research, survey design, and community economic development policy.
Laura’s research and teaching are at the intersection of environmental, economic, and political sociology. She earned her PhD in Sociology and Community & Environmental Sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2020 and has published peer-reviewed articles, policy reports, and an undergraduate textbook in addition to directing the Democracy at Work Institute’s 2017 Worker Co-op Census. Her scholarship has received generous support from the National Science Foundation, AmeriCorps, Women & Wellbeing in Wisconsin & the World (4W), and Institute for the Study of Employee Ownership and Profit Sharing. She also holds a Master in Public Affairs from Princeton University and a B.A. from Whitman College.
Laura is originally from the Pacific Northwest but has lived in several states and countries. Prior to academia, she taught on a French island near Madagascar, worked at a small NGO in Rwanda, and founded a nonprofit with her now-husband in his Ohio hometown. These days you can find her hiking, training for half-marathons, and chasing her kiddos around the garden.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Trends in the Cooperative Community
- How Economic Democracy Impacts Workers, Firms, and Communities: A Census of Individual Workers in Worker Cooperatives (with Olga Prushinskaya)
- Spillover, Selection, or Substitution? Workplace and Civic Participation in Democratic Firms (with Kristinn Már)
- An Invitation to Environmental Sociology, 6e (with Michael Bell, Loka Ashwood, and Isaac Leslie)
- Workplace Democracy as a Strategy for Inclusive Economic Development
- Stronger Together? The USW-Mondragon Union Co-op Model
Contact Laura about UWCC research including the Cooperative Governance Research Initiative, surveys, and mixed methods studies